Skylights and Sun Tunnels
Skylight & Sun Tunnel Installation
Did you know that skylights in your residential roofing are a great way to let light into your home? In addition to giving you free light during the day, they can also help you save money on your energy bills. At Detroit Roofers, our professional installers know a lot about high-quality and reliable skylight brands, cutting-edge industry techniques, and going above and beyond what customers expect.
You don’t have to live in the dark if you like your home but wish it had more natural light. Instead of using lamps to light the way, a skylight or sun tunnel can be a great way to bring light into your home. Both of these installations are great ways to bring more natural light into dark rooms. A professional can help you decide which of these two light sources is best for you. The experts at Detroit Roofers know how to put in skylights and sun tunnels and would be happy to talk to you about these options for your home.
Difference Between Skylights and Sun Tunnels
Even though both skylights and sun tunnels are made to let in natural light, there are some big differences between the two that you should know about. For example, skylights are usually much bigger than sun tunnels, so they can be used in the kitchen or living room to make the room feel more open. On the other hand, sun tunnels are great for hallways where you might want more light but don’t have room for a bigger light.
Also, because sun tunnels have one closed end, they let in less heat than skylights because one end is sealed. The way these two fixtures are put in your home is the last difference between them. Because of how big they are, skylights need extra framing and support, and they can only be put on roofs that can handle the extra weight. Sun tunnels can be put in through an opening in your roof and don’t need any extra support, which makes them a great choice for people with lower ceilings or attic space.
Advantages of Skylights and Sun Tunnels
You might be amazed at how quickly incorporating a skylight or sun tunnel into your residence can change not only how it looks but also how it feels. Sunlight can make a huge difference in your day, especially in the winter. Read on to find out more great reasons why putting in a skylight or sun tunnel is a good idea.
- You can put a skylight or sun tunnel virtually anywhere in your home where it might be hard to put a window.
- You can get a lot more natural light into your home.
- You will save money on your energy and heating bills with these features.
- They look nice and fit in with your home’s decor.
- Both skylights and sun tunnels are easy to put in and don’t take long.
- After they are put in, they don’t need much care.
Kinds of Roofing Skylights
There are many different kinds of skylights on the market. These include fixed skylights, ventilated skylights, and “tubular” skylights.
- Fixed skylights are the most popular kind of skylight. They cannot be opened or closed, however, they are the most energy-efficient choice.
- Ventilated skylights can be opened and closed, so you can control how much light and airflow come into your home. These are a great choice for rooms that seem to get congested, such as bathrooms and kitchens.
- Tubular skylights are small, round skylights that are installed in the ceiling. They are a great choice for small spaces like closets.
Cost of Skylights
Skylights let in natural light and give a home a unique look. But the price of installing a skylight is often what makes homeowners decide.
The average cost of installing a skylight is around $1,750, with a low cost of $1,000 and a high cost of $2,500. For the right kind of homeowner, this project could pay off.
By Size Still, the size of the skylight should be kept as small as possible to cut down on energy loss and installation costs. The Department of Energy says that a room’s skylight should take up no more than 5% of the floor space and no more than 15% of the floor space in a room with no windows.
The shape of the skylight is another thing that can change how much it costs to put it in. Choose the shape that best works for your area, but bear in mind that costs will differ depending on the shape you choose.
By Style and Type
The price of installation can also be affected by the style and type of skylight you choose. For these styles and types of skylights, you can expect to pay the following.
Different Kinds of Sun Tunnels
There are two kinds of sun tunnels: flexible and rigid.
- Flexible sun tunnels are often used whenever there are things blocking the space needed for installation.
- Rigid sun tunnels are often used when there is a straight line from the roof down through the ceiling.
The space between your roof and ceiling will determine how large and the type of sun tunnel you can get.
Sun Tunnel Cost
There are two things that can change how much your sun tunnel costs. The first is how much it costs to pay people to put it in. The second is how much the materials will cost (acrylic dome, tube, light diffuser).
The cost of your sun tunnel is based on the length of the reflective tubing and the acrylic dome, as well as the time it takes to set up. Most of the time, the prices of the materials will be the same, but the prices of the work will vary from one contractor to the next.
Taking all of this into account, you can expect to pay between $650 and $2,150 for your new sun tunnel. This is a rough estimate based on VELUX, the most popular brand of sun tunnel. The final price will depend on how much the roofer you hire charges for his or her time.
Skylight and Sun Tunnel Repair and Replacement
If a skylight gets broken, it’s important to fix it as soon as possible. Water leaks can do a lot of damage to the inside of a house, so it is important to fix any problems as soon as they are found.
- Finding the leak. The first step in fixing a leaky skylight is to find the source of the leak.
- Fixing the damage. Once the leak has been found, the damaged area can be fixed with new flashing or sealant.
- Getting a skylight replacement done if the damage is extensive. If the damage is bad enough, it may be necessary to replace the whole skylight.
Brighten Up Your Home With A Skylight or Sun Tunnel From Detroit Roofers
If you want to bring more natural light into your home, a skylight or a sun tunnel are the best ways to do it. It will make your house feel bigger, make you happier, and make even dark days feel brighter. Let our friendly team at Detroit Roofers in metro Detroit, Michigan, install a skylight or sun tunnel in your home to let in more light. Contact us right away to get your project started.
Why Choose Us
The Best Roofing Skylight Contractors
When You're Searching for "Skylight Installation Near Me" Detroit Roofers is There!
The areas we serve have expanded recently. When you’re looking for “skylight repair near me” or “skylight replacement near me“, you can find our Detroit Roofers roofing contractors serving customers all over the metro Detroit area. You can find us in Wayne County, Macomb County, and even Oakland County!